Grapefruit is one of the healthiest citrus fruits you can eat. Research shows that it may have some powerful health benefits, including weight loss and a reduced risk of heart disease. In aromatherapy, the fruity aroma of grapefruit is believe to have an uplifting and stimulating effect on the mind, inhaling the aroma of grapefruit can be use to help combat tiredness or mental exhaustion.
The grapefruit is a subtropical citrus tree known for its relatively large sour to semi-sweet, somewhat bitter fruit. Grapefruit is a citrus hybrid originating in Barbados as an accidental cross between the sweet orange and pomelo (or shaddock), both of which were introduce from Asia in the seventeenth century. When found, it was nicknamed the “forbidden fruit”.
The fruit is yellow-orange skin and generally, an oblate spheroid in shape. The flesh is segment and acidic, varying in color depending on the cultivars, which include white, pink, and red pulps of varying sweetness (generally, the redder varieties are the sweetest). Grapefruit varieties are differentiate by the flesh color of fruit they produce. The varieties of Texas and Florida grapefruit include: Oro Blanco, Ruby Red, Pink, Rio Star, Thompson, White Marsh, Flame, Star Ruby, Duncan, and Pummelo HB.
Benefits and white raw grapefruit nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz) are:
- Regularly may be beneficial for your immune system.
- It’s prized for its high content of vitamin C, which has antioxidant properties known to protect your cells from harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Weight loss friendly food which helps promote fullness and reduce calorie intake.
- May reduce your risk of developing kidney stones.
- Very hydrating as it contains a lot of water.
- May help control insulin levels.
- Regularly consuming grapefruit is thought to improve heart health by reducing risk factors for heart disease, such as high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Grapefruit also contains a few different antioxidants that provide various health benefits, including a reduced risk of several diseases.
- Energy: 138 kJ (33 kcal)
- Carbohydrates: 8.41 g
- Sugar: 7.31 g
- Dietary fiber:1.1 g
- Fat: 0.10 g
- Protein: .8 g
- Thiamine (B1): 0.037 mg
- Riboflavin (B2): 0.020 mg
- Niacin (B3): 0.269 mg
- Pantothenic acid (B5): 0.283 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.043 mg
- Folate (B9): 10 μg
- Choline: 7.7 mg
- Vitamin C: 33.3 mg
- Vitamin E: 0.13 mg
- Calcium: 12 mg
- Iron: 0.06 mg
- Magnesium: 9 mg
- Manganese: 0.013 mg
- Phosphorus: 8 mg
- Potassium: 148 mg
- Zinc: 0.07 mg
- Water: 90.48 g